Pages

20 July 2012

Festie girls


Blonde girls in tiny shorts with legs that boast a delightful shade of orange hang around in packs at the festival.
Faux faded tops hang loosely from their spindly frames and plastic flowers loop within their hair. 
Long hair, perfecting a not-brushed-for-a-year matted mess swept perfectly to the left side of their head -
Just so it covers one mascara-glooped eye.
Oversized wellies bag around woolly grey socks, pulled up and over their knees (the only bit of this outfit that their mothers might approve of).
They’re the girls who get on burly shoulders and wave both arms at the crowds; shrieking impulsively to each other;
Pouting proud.
I watch them take to their own centre stage, revelling in sneers of; 'get yer tits out for the lads!’
I wonder how those luminous plastic Ray Bans could be useful when left propped up on their heads?
They’ve been dashed with neon painted streaks by God-knows-who in a make-shift tent.
(Apparently they charge a fiver for one cheek, tops.)
Highly impractical for the first day, wouldn’t you say?
I peer out from under the toggle-tight cagoule I got from a camping shop last week, and mutter darkly;
“I daresay the baby-wipes won’t take it off.”

cited

16 comments:

  1. You sound like me at a show, I'm like in warm clothes and sensible shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was such a grumbling ol' Granny. lol.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I agree with Nova...I can't even remember when I last went to a music fest...i think i am getting old (im already grumpy and prefer a nice cup of tea and a biscuit) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, quite frankly, who wouldn't?! Music fests are brilliant - So long as your cagouled up, so you're nice and dry and can do a cuppa on a gas stove!

      Delete
    2. hahaha...youre brilliant! :)

      Delete
  3. lol, I do so love your mind. You see the world so richly, even when it's wearing or tawdry. I do hope you had fun regardless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had amazing fun. Thank you for loving my nutty mind. :) x

      Delete
  4. I love how you captured some of the people you saw at the festival. I bet you had a completely different perspective to how the saw themselves! I hope you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were rather oblivious to everyone around them! Thank you for commenting Abbey!

      Delete
  5. I'd be in wellingtons, waterproof sou'wester and sporting a large umbrella following the weather we've endured this year. I could picture them in my mind though, you describe them so well, in fact, I've seen many strolling around towns that fit this description perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thank you! I absolutely was. And a little foldaway seat too?!

      Delete
  6. Perhaps this is why I take in shows at only small venues these days. How well you captured the moment, Lizzie! I felt like I was plunked right into the shrieking, blindingly blonde crowd. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jayne! Thank you - I hope you enjoyed being amongst it all - albit briefly! ;)

      Delete
  7. As a teacher of teenagers... yes, oh yes oh yes. Sometimes a good eye-roll and a knowing smile is enough to remind me that it was not that long ago...

    Love your language here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emily! Thank you for your lovely comment. I've a little sister who's fourteen going on twenty-two, I think you must be a saint in disguise to teach teens! ;) Glad you liked this post. And yes - It wasn't that long ago- at all...!

      Delete
  8. This almost felt like a poem to me - a lovely mix of words, painting clear and bright images.

    ReplyDelete